log4j-streams module name
Gary Gregory
2014-09-02 14:22:28 UTC
Should the new module name/ID be:

- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>

?

Gary
--
E-Mail: ***@gmail.com | ***@apache.org
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory
Matt Sicker
2014-09-03 02:02:52 UTC
Using the name "streams" might be confusing the Java 1.8 streams (aka
lazily evaluated functions/map-reduce). I'd almost suggest javaio or jio or
something similar to emphasise the compatibility.
Post by Gary Gregory
- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>
?
Gary
Matt Sicker <***@gmail.com>
Gary Gregory
2014-09-03 02:35:18 UTC
Yeah, plain 'streams' is not great. Let's see... we are talking about
java.io classes that are OutputStreams, InputStreams, Writers, and Readers.

- log4j-java.io
Can you have a . in a module name like that without causing confusion,
it kinda looks weird but it the best IMO.
- log4j-javaio
- log4j-javaio-bridge

?

Gary
Post by Matt Sicker
Using the name "streams" might be confusing the Java 1.8 streams (aka
lazily evaluated functions/map-reduce). I'd almost suggest javaio or jio or
something similar to emphasise the compatibility.
Post by Gary Gregory
- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>
?
Matt Sicker
2014-09-03 02:37:52 UTC
Maybe log4j-iostreams?
Post by Matt Sicker
Using the name "streams" might be confusing the Java 1.8 streams (aka
lazily evaluated functions/map-reduce). I'd almost suggest javaio or jio or
something similar to emphasise the compatibility.
Post by Gary Gregory
- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>
?
Matt Sicker <***@gmail.com>
Ralph Goers
2014-09-03 02:41:15 UTC
Much better

Sent from my iPad
Post by Matt Sicker
Maybe log4j-iostreams?
Yeah, plain 'streams' is not great. Let's see... we are talking about java.io classes that are OutputStreams, InputStreams, Writers, and Readers.
- log4j-java.io
Can you have a . in a module name like that without causing confusion, it kinda looks weird but it the best IMO.
- log4j-javaio
- log4j-javaio-bridge
?
Gary
Using the name "streams" might be confusing the Java 1.8 streams (aka lazily evaluated functions/map-reduce). I'd almost suggest javaio or jio or something similar to emphasise the compatibility.
Post by Gary Gregory
- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>
?
Gary
JUnit in Action, Second Edition
Spring Batch in Action
Remko Popma
2014-09-03 03:05:03 UTC
I'm ok with log4j-streams and log4j-iostreams.

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Ralph Goers
Much better
Sent from my iPad
Post by Matt Sicker
Maybe log4j-iostreams?
Yeah, plain 'streams' is not great. Let's see... we are talking about java.io classes that are OutputStreams, InputStreams, Writers, and Readers.
- log4j-java.io
Can you have a . in a module name like that without causing confusion, it kinda looks weird but it the best IMO.
- log4j-javaio
- log4j-javaio-bridge
?
Gary
Using the name "streams" might be confusing the Java 1.8 streams (aka lazily evaluated functions/map-reduce). I'd almost suggest javaio or jio or something similar to emphasise the compatibility.
Post by Gary Gregory
- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>
?
Gary Gregory
2014-09-04 17:31:18 UTC
Now that I see:

org.apache.logging.log4j.io

I wonder where is:

org.apache.logging.log4j.nio

!

Gary
Post by Matt Sicker
Using the name "streams" might be confusing the Java 1.8 streams (aka
lazily evaluated functions/map-reduce). I'd almost suggest javaio or jio or
something similar to emphasise the compatibility.
Post by Gary Gregory
- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>
?
Matt Sicker
2014-09-04 17:32:34 UTC
Me too! Thankfully, no JDK API logs to Buffers or Channels or anything. :P
org.apache.logging.log4j.io
Post by Matt Sicker
Using the name "streams" might be confusing the Java 1.8 streams (aka
lazily evaluated functions/map-reduce). I'd almost suggest javaio or jio or
something similar to emphasise the compatibility.
Post by Gary Gregory
- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>
?
Matt Sicker <***@gmail.com>
Gary Gregory
2014-09-04 17:40:33 UTC
YAGNI!
Post by Matt Sicker
Me too! Thankfully, no JDK API logs to Buffers or Channels or anything. :P
org.apache.logging.log4j.io
Post by Matt Sicker
Using the name "streams" might be confusing the Java 1.8 streams (aka
lazily evaluated functions/map-reduce). I'd almost suggest javaio or jio or
something similar to emphasise the compatibility.
Post by Gary Gregory
- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>
?
Ralph Goers
2014-09-03 02:40:59 UTC
Hate them all but nothing good pops to mind right now. Frankly, I find the "streams" in java 8 a confusing term. When I looked at it I was reminded of Cocoon pipelines. I wish they had used that term instead.

Sent from my iPad
Yeah, plain 'streams' is not great. Let's see... we are talking about java.io classes that are OutputStreams, InputStreams, Writers, and Readers.
- log4j-java.io
Can you have a . in a module name like that without causing confusion, it kinda looks weird but it the best IMO.
- log4j-javaio
- log4j-javaio-bridge
?
Gary
Using the name "streams" might be confusing the Java 1.8 streams (aka lazily evaluated functions/map-reduce). I'd almost suggest javaio or jio or something similar to emphasise the compatibility.
Post by Gary Gregory
- log4j-streams
- log4j-streaming
- log4j-<your suggestion>