Javadoc with v8 doclet
Remko Popma
2014-09-21 03:11:01 UTC
Matt has mentioned a few times that he wanted to use the Javadoc format produced by java 8, but the doclet is too strict.

This blog post may have a solution for that:
http://blog.joda.org/2014/02/turning-off-doclint-in-jdk-8-javadoc.html

Sent from my iPhone
Gary Gregory
2014-09-21 10:49:09 UTC
Nah, we should just fix our comments...

Gary

Remko Popma
2014-09-21 11:12:14 UTC
I was a bit shocked after reading the article.
The requirements are very strict.

If you ask me what would be a better use of my time: fix outstanding jiras
or add new features or make javadoc conform to some standard, I think out
of those three, javadoc would benefit our users least...

(I don't object to writing new javadoc according to the stricter rules, it
just seems like a bit of a waste of time to fix the old docs.)

And if we can get the benefit of the nicer looking javadoc HTML without
paying the price of spending our valuable time to reformat etc, I'd say go
for it!
Ralph Goers
2014-09-21 17:35:22 UTC

My vote is to disable doclint and move on.

Ralph
2014-09-21 17:58:06 UTC
If we can just build it with the (perfectly valid HTML5) invalid HTML by
disabling something, that would be ideal.
I have to disagree. The fact that it doesn’t allow <br /> and also
doesn’t allow <br></br> is a showstopper as far as I am concerned. I
always use closing tags and am not going to change just because doclint
doesn’t allow it.
Matt Sicker <***@gmail.com>
Remko Popma

2014-09-21 13:10:58 UTC
Bah, at some point, that will be the new normal for everyone.

The best way to deal with this is to agree to build with Java 8 with compiler settings that generate java 6 byte codes which we already have.

If we all pitch in it won't take long.

Personally I do everything in Java 7 and I am migrating to 8 project by project.

Gary

Matt Sicker
2014-09-21 16:29:48 UTC
What I don't get is that the OpenJDK javadocs are still a mix of
never-touched 1.0 docs (which definitely uses the loose format), yet they
still manage to build it without fixing all their docs. There must be a way
to auto-fix everything.